Good day, buddies! Welcome again to Week in Evaluate, the e-newsletter the place we rapidly sum up probably the most learn TechCrunch tales from the final sevenish days. The aim? Even when you’ve had a busy week, a fast skim of WiR ought to maintain you within the (tech) loop.
Need it in your inbox each Saturday? Enroll right here.
This week was a bit in all places, with one other massive story breaking each couple hours. Let’s simply drop proper in, lets?
- Cutbacks at Space 120: Space 120 is Google’s in-house incubator, meant to let Googlers with doubtlessly massive concepts faucet the mega firm’s sources to show mentioned concepts into one thing actual. This week, nonetheless, Google confirmed that it’s slashing half of the Space 120 initiatives at the moment in growth, with the incubator “shifting its focus” to AI initiatives. Impacted workers are being given till early 2023 to discover a new job inside Google.
- Adobe buys Figma: In one of many greatest tech acquisitions of all time, Adobe introduced this week its intent to purchase the collaborative/web-based design software Figma for a whopping $20 billion. Figma noticed ridiculous progress all through the pandemic, as many, many tech groups went distant and adjusted their workflows accordingly. Even for a corporation as massive as Adobe, profitable that a part of the workflow again would’ve been robust.
- Layoffs at Twilio: Twilio confirmed this week that it’ll lay off roughly 11% of its workforce — someplace between 800 and 900 individuals — as the corporate focuses on reaching profitability in 2023.
- iOS 16 goes reside: As anticipated, iOS 16 rolled out to Apple gadgets this week. Need our ideas on it? Discover Romain’s assessment right here. Need to know all the not-so-obvious new options hiding inside the replace? Take a look at Ivan’s checklist. Most of our readers appear to be in search of fascinating methods to use these new Lock Display screen widgets.
- South Korea points an arrest warrant for Terraform Labs’ founder: “A court docket in South Korea has issued an arrest warrant for Do Kwon, the founding father of Terraform Labs,” writes Manish, “escalating its probe into the crypto ecosystem whose two tokens misplaced $40 billion in worth in a span of days earlier this 12 months.”
- Uber hack: Late Thursday evening, Uber confirmed that it’s “responding to a cybersecurity incident” after a hacker seemingly breached the corporate’s inside community, with the hacker reportedly asserting their presence (and protesting how Uber pays its drivers) proper inside Uber’s Slack.
If you happen to like TechCrunch in your eyes, try TechCrunch in your ears. This week in TechCrunch podcast land, the Fairness staff talked about how Y Combinator has advanced lately, the Chain Response crew “dug into the institutional embrace of blockchains by stodgy monetary powerhouses,” and the Discovered staff went all “best hits” by revisiting an interview with Figma founder Dylan Discipline from earlier this 12 months.
Need to know what TC+ members are studying most behind the paywall? I’ve acquired that checklist under. Need to develop into a TC+ member your self? Enroll right here and use promo code “WIR” for 15% off an annual cross.